General Motors produced the Vortec 5.3L V8 LMG engine for full-size SUVs. Nitrous oxide added to any 5.3L Vortec engine produces enormous power gains for advanced racers and custom builders.
Although the Vortec 5.3 is widely regarded as highly dependable and effective, it has not been without issues over the years. If you’re looking for the best cam for 5.3 Vortec, we’ve compiled a list for you. We hope that the products we included are the most powerful and elaborate in performance.
So, let’s start with the question- What need to know before buying a camshaft for Vortec 5.3 engine?
Choose a camshaft with an rpm range that corresponds to the other components of your vehicle and its intended use. The durations of performance cams need to be considered before buying.
Your cam of choice must be capable of delivering improved performance over a long period. Choose a brand that will assist you and provide advice on how to install successfully. Don’t forget to check the product’s durability and quality.
Now, this is just the beginning-
5 best camshaft for Vortec 5.3 engine
We conducted extensive research with these 5 best products for 5.3 Vortec. We hope that the models we’ve chosen will deliver the best results possible. Go through the list, examine the product details, and choose what you need.
1. COMP Cams CL12-212-2 Magnum 224/224 Hydraulic Flat Cam
These COMP Cams camshaft and lifter kits are perfect for a daily driver or a high-performance street machine. The 110-degree lobe separation angle, 0.05 duration, 1600 to 5800 RPM, and 0.50-second response time improve the truck’s responsiveness.
These camshafts provide excellent stopping power for your truck, and the other duration in the power brake is highly beneficial. This product will meet all of your needs if you are looking for an upgrade to take your truck’s performance to the next level.
- It works best with aftermarket torque converters and compression ratios of 9.5:1.
- Powerful at high RPM.
- Parts for the valve train are simple.
- It can be used with traditional performance valve springs and mild ratio rocker arms.
- Parts for the valve train are simple.
- These camshafts are suitable for a wide range of truck models.
- You can rely on these camshafts to provide you with the most comfortable rides possible.
The things that might be bothering you: Most users complain that these camshafts have a relatively rough idle.
2. Elgin E-1840-P Camshaft
This camshaft has advanced features to meet engine conditions. At the same time, excellent mechanical support keeps the system occupied in the face of adversity. With the performance cam for the 5.3 Vortec, a sufficient torque increase imposes an increase in absolute power.
The valve lift remains constant for both parameters, yielding 0.585”/0.585”. This Elgin guarantees complete satisfaction with its dependable E-1840-P design.
- Not to be used in conjunction with Active Fuel Management.
- It has an intake duration of 283 and an exhaust duration of 286.
- The sloppy camshaft is designed to be a high-performance Sloppy camshaft.
- Designed specifically for use with the 3-bolt cam gear.
- With. a 50″ lift, the intake duration is 228, and the exhaust duration is 230.
- High-quality mechanical components
- Combination of functions.
- Increased efficiency.
- Immediate replacement is required.
The things that might be bothering you: Much questionable from the users.
3. Lunati 10350703LK Voodoo Camshaft
Lunati voodoo cams have more “area under the curve,” which means better throttle response, faster acceleration, more vacuum, and higher efficiency. It has a 112-degree lobe separation angle and a duration of 224/234 at.050-inch, which is enough to elevate the engine. It can handle 1500-5500 RPM no matter how hard you push your truck or if you choose to go off-road.
It improves noise by increasing throttle response and speeding up. This camshaft will produce low-to-mid-range torque, a lot of horsepowers, and a smooth idle.
- The quality is excellent for the price.
- It has a nice vehicle noise.
- It is simple to install and uninstall software.
- Excellent value for money.
- It works with a wide variety of engines.
- Increases the stability of the truck.
- Gives you a slight power boost.
- Operating Speed: 1800-6200 RPM
- 227 of 233 Duration is set to.050″. The angle of separation between the lobes is 110 degrees. Valve Lift: 0.522″/0.538″
The things that might be bothering you: It will raise the noise level of your engine, and the product is incompatible with the 350 TBI 5.7.
4. Edelbrock 7122 Performer RPM Cam and Lifter Kit
Performer RPM cams deliver power from 1500 to 6500 rpm, making them ideal for high-performance street users. From low to mid-range, this camshaft produces more horsepower and torque.
With 10 to 12 inches of manifold vacuum at idle, Performer RPM camshafts have more lift and duration than most street camshafts. To be a good fit for the Ford truck, they are actually designed for high-performance street applications.
- Camshaft, hydraulic lifters, assembly lube, and instructions are included.
- The RPM ranges from idle to 1,500-6,500.
- They are designed for high-performance street use only and are not suitable for heavy vehicles.
- Lift and Duration are greater than those found on most street camshafts.
- Assembly Lube and Hydraulic Lifters are included.
- Performance that has been dyno-tested and validated on the road.
- Improves engine efficiency.
- It’s not heavy.
The things that might be bothering you: Their slow idle speeds can cause severe cam and lifter wear, and they do not allow the engine to run at less than 2000 rpm for the first half-hour.
5. COMP Cams 12-242-2 Xtreme Energy
This camshaft’s wide operating range of 1600 to 5000 RPM is helpful for any truck driver, and it can also be used at low speeds. You’ll notice an increased roughness when the engine starts and a superbly responsive throttle from the moment you install it.
The advantage of this camshaft is that it improves receptiveness and street carbureted function. The 230/230 duration and the 0.50-second system will improve the engine’s overall performance significantly.
- Faster Opening Lobe Profiles Provide Increased Responsiveness Among Other Benefits The area beneath the lift curve.
- More vacuuming allows for an increase in duration for improved performance.
- Excellent All-Round Performance in Carbureted Street Applications.
- The looping sound is inactive.
- Increases your truck’s power and performance.
- It has a powerful vacuum.
- Ideal for engines in the mid-range or mild range.
The things that might be bothering you: It is possible to feel overly aggressive, and installation may be complicated.
Things you need to consider to buy Camshaft
You must understand some factors to determine which camshaft will work best with your 302 Ford. However, it appears difficult for unprofessionals, and someone does not have enough time to research. So we’ve gathered some excellent advice to assist you in your search for the best.
1. RPM power
The most important determinant of power levels in a vehicle is RPM. Some cams with shorter durations produce peak horsepower at lower rpm. If you want to increase the duration, you must increase the engine’s peak power through the camshaft. As a starting point, consider the 1500/1800 to 6200/6400 operational range.
2. lobe separation angle
The Lobe Separation Angle is the distance between the centerlines of the camshaft’s intake and exhaust lobes. The amount of valve overlap is influenced by lobe separation angles, which impact many performance factors, particularly idle quality.
3. Get proper valve raise distance and duration
Short-duration cams with relatively high valve lifts can provide excellent responsiveness. The greater the valve lift distance, on the other hand, the better the product’s performance. However, you cannot expect good results with low or medium duration or valve lift; our recommendation is to go higher.
4. Choose roller camshaft
Roller lifters reduce friction on the camshaft, making it easier for the cam to spin. Roller cams valves open faster and stay at a higher lift for longer, allowing for more airflow and power.
Although flat-tappet camshafts are the cheapest, they are not always practical in the long run or performance. The roller cam has the advantage of increased durability and is the best choice for a street engine that has been hot-rodded.
5. Be sure the output power
It is important to understand how much power your engine gains with the cam because different designs have the different imposed horsepower. When choosing a camshaft, choose one with a rpm range that corresponds to the other components of your vehicle and its intended use.
So before buying a camshaft, make sure from the professional that the camshaft you buy matches your vehicle capacity for maximum power output.
- Question: How can I get more horsepower out of my 5.3 Vortec?
Answer: In a few hours, you can improve horsepower, torque, and even gas mileage by upgrading your air filter and intake.
- Question: Is the 5.3 Vortec a good engine?
Answer: The Vortec 5.3 is widely regarded as highly reliable, with most engines lasting between 200k and 300k miles.
- Question: How many hours will a 5.3 Vortec last?
Answer: I’d say it’s about the same as a truck with 3500-4000 hours on it. In comparison, I had several issued blue ovals that lasted well over 11,000 hours but only accumulated 85k miles.
- Question: How much horsepower does a cam add?
Answer: A standard bolt-on car with a cam can usually go 390-440 depending on the cam and bolt-ons used.
Suppose you boost camshaft performance while providing the smoothest function. In that case, your truck will perform more efficiently and quickly than ever before. However, you must first learn about the various cams and determine which one is best suited for your vehicle.
We’ve gone over the advanced features, specifications, and benefits of the best cam for 5.3 Vortec today. So, if you want to improve the overall performance of your 5.3 Vortec, you can select from our list.